Kickstand is Hiring a Program Coordinator(s)!
Kickstand is a non-profit, volunteer-run community cycling resource centre dedicated to the promotion of cycling as an empowering, community-enriching, fun, environmentally sustainable, and active mode of transportation. Kickstand provides programming for a diverse cycling community by facilitating a welcoming public-access bicycle workshop space where we provide bicycle repair support along with refurbished used bikes and parts. In partnership with Britannia Community Services Centre, we strive to provide a safer space for community members to learn about bike mechanics and work on their own bicycles. Please visit our website eastvankickstand.org and Facebook page @Eastvan.Kickstand to find out more about our organization.
We are looking for 1-2 energetic and organized individuals interested in supporting us in building our capacity to better serve our vibrant and growing community. The program coordinator(s) will play a key role in developing our resources and improving our services. The role will require flexibility, personal initiative, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to collaborate with and support Kickstand’s board of directors and volunteers. The program coordinator will spend most of their time on volunteer coordination and communications, and will also work on shop management, planning and facilitating events and workshops, volunteer appreciation, grant writing, creating promotional material, and website maintenance.
Kickstand actively seeks staff who reflect the diverse community we serve. Individuals typically underrepresented in the bicycle mechanics industry are encouraged to apply (queer, trans people, people of colour, indigenous people, women, people living with disabilities, and/or mental health variations and/or addiction (commitment to sobriety during operational hours is required)).
Compensation: $20 per hr, 15-30 hours per week
Start date: July 1st
Duration of contract: 6 month contract position (with possibility to renew up to 1 year).
Roles and Responsibilities
- Schedule volunteer shifts
- Manage volunteer intake
- Facilitate volunteer orientations or support volunteers in doing so ● Coordinate workshops and training for volunteers
- Coordinate outreach to new volunteers
- Support volunteers and board of directors as needed
- Maintain & improve efficacy of Kickstand communication channels (i.e. email, social media, website)
- Improve signage, displays and promotional material
- Organize work parties for shop organization and improvementSupport with inventory managements
- Organize bike building parties and events
- Ensure that the shop is clean and organized
- Support with recycling and other shop maintenance tasks as needed
- Support the treasurer in budgeting and maintaining Kickstand’s internal bookkeeping
- Ensure that deposits are completed and petty cash is replenished on a bi-weekly basis
- Apply for grants for future contractor and as needed
Community Development & Outreach
- Collaborate with the Vancouver Community Bike Shop Network to increase Kickstand’s capacity
- Liaise with Britannia Community Centre, particularly for updates regarding Kickstand’s eventual move
- Build partnerships with other organizations that could benefit from Kickstand’s services
- Work with volunteers to achieve the organization’s development strategy
- Complete the development strategy for transitioning to a new location
Other duties as assigned.
- Highly organized and flexible
- Demonstrated commitment to community development and education
- Experience working with a diverse group of people
- Direct and tactful communication skills
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- Experience in a leadership/management role
- A strong understanding and commitment to anti-oppressive values
- Experience with bike mechanics and maintenance
- Experience with WordPress web management system, social media, graphic design, grant writing, workshop facilitation, and event coordination are assets
- Long-term interest in participating in the Kickstand community and previous experience volunteering and or working in a community bike shop
To apply for the position, please email email@example.com your resume with “Programs Coordinator Application” in the subject line by June 1st, 2018.