Kickstand – Program Coordinator
Kickstand is a non-profit, volunteer-run community cycling resource centre dedicated to the promotion of cycling as an empowering, community-enriching, fun, environmentally sustainable, and active mode of transportation. We are located on the traditional, unceded and occupied territories of the Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh), and xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam) Nations, in East Vancouver. We are actively working to understand our role in colonization and how we as an organization can be respectful guests on this land.
Kickstand provides programming for a diverse cycling community by facilitating a welcoming public-access bicycle workshop space where we provide bicycle repair support along with refurbished used bikes and parts. We strive to provide a safer space for community members to learn about bike mechanics and work on their own bicycles. Please visit our website eastvankickstand.org and Facebook page @Eastvan.Kickstand to find out more about our organization.
We are looking for 1-2 energetic and organized individuals interested in supporting us in building our capacity to better serve our vibrant and growing community. The program coordinator(s) will play a key role in developing our resources, organizational development and improving our services. The role will require flexibility, personal initiative, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to collaborate with and support Kickstand’s board of directors and volunteers. The program coordinator(s) will spend most of their time on volunteer coordination and communications, and will also work on shop management, events and workshops, grant writing, creating promotional materials and coordinating our move to a new location!
Kickstand actively seeks staff who reflect the diverse community we serve. Individuals typically underrepresented in the bicycle mechanics industry are encouraged to apply (queer, trans people, people of colour, indigenous people, women, people living with disabilities, and/or mental health variations and/or addiction (commitment to sobriety during operational hours is required)).
Compensation: $21.00-25.00 per hr depending on experience, 15-35 hours per week
Start date: week of August 5, 2019
Duration of contract: 1 year contract position (with possibility to renew up to 1 year).
Roles and Responsibilities
Coordinator(s) will report to the volunteer board and work jointly with committee members and volunteers to complete the following tasks:
- Schedule volunteer shifts
- Manage volunteer intake
- Facilitate volunteer orientations or support volunteers in doing so
- Coordinate workshops and training for volunteers with volunteer Workshop Organizers
- Support volunteers and board of directors as needed
- Facilitate and support volunteer led initiatives on an ongoing basis
- Coordinate physical move to our new location
- Implement benefits program for contractors and employees
- Support Kickstand in becoming fully independent organization
- Continue to build partnerships with other organizations in the community
- Help implement new POS system and manage finances
- Help organize governance and visioning session to help steer future direction of Kickstand
- Implement new Keyholder and Volunteer scheduling process
- Continue the development permitting process with the city of Vancouver
- Maintain & improve efficacy of communication channels (email, social media, website)
- Improve signage, displays and promotional material
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with building manager and neighbouring organizations at our new space
- Organize work parties for shop organization and improvement
- Support with inventory management
- Organize bike building parties and events
- Ensure that the shop is clean and organized
- Support with recycling and other shop maintenance tasks as needed
- Support the treasurer in budgeting and maintaining Kickstand’s internal bookkeeping
- Ensure that deposits are completed and petty cash is replenished on a bi-weekly basis
- Apply for grants for future contractor and as needed
Community Development & Outreach
- Collaborate with the Vancouver Community Bike Shop Network
- Liaise with Britannia Community Centre, particularly in the transition of Kickstand becoming a fully independent organization
- Build partnerships with other organizations that could benefit from Kickstand’s services
- Work with volunteers to achieve the organization’s development strategy
- Complete the development strategy for transitioning to the new location
Other duties as assigned.
- Highly organized and flexible
- Demonstrated commitment to community development and education
- Experience working with a diverse group of people
- Direct and tactful communication skills
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- Experience in a leadership/management role
- A strong understanding and commitment to anti-oppressive values
- Experience or familiarity with bike mechanics and maintenance
- Experience with WordPress web management system, social media, graphic design, grant writing, workshop facilitation, and event coordination are assets
- Long-term interest in participating in the Kickstand community and previous experience volunteering and or working in a community bike shop is huge asset
To apply for the position, please email email@example.com your resume and cover letter with “Programs Coordinator Application” in the subject line by 6pm on Sunday July 21st, 2019.